Thursday, November 17, 2011

because you are with me, I will not fear.

Today started out like any other day. I went to my school group early this morning. Drove home. Got home, hopped on Facebook and saw a post by one of the guys in my school.

"Hey guys, be careful driving to school today. There's a bunch of tornado warning."

I, being the overly cautious Colorado girl who has never seen or experienced something like this, went into research mode. I was checking every television station, weather website, and twitter message about what was going on.

I was in my bedroom on the top level of the house getting ready for school and keeping an eye on the weather. The rain got to be real bad. Then I heard the most horrifying sound I have ever heard in my entire life. The neighborhood siren. I grabbed my laptop and chucked it downstairs two levels into the basement.

I ran into the bathroom. Sat in the bathtub and called my mom, absolutely sobbing. I was home alone. Colorado girl. No idea what to do or how to respond. I started praying and speaking to the storm and telling it that it would not touch anywhere near my neighborhood.

I was talking to like five different people, trying to calm myself down and stay updated on the storms. One of my best friends prayed with me. My other best friend sympathized with me cause she was hiding in her closet feeling the same crap I was feeling. My leader at school was asking if I was okay and telling me everything was okay. My home sponsor was updating me on the storms. My brother was telling me there's nothing to fear.

I knew if I didn't do something, my fears would just escalate and grow bigger. So I sang the first song that came to my head.

"Because You're with me. Because You're with me, I will not fear. My hiding place. My safe refuge. My treasure, Lord, You are. My friend and King, anointed One, most Holy."

Over and over again. I turned the song on my laptop and it was on repeat for the entire hour and a half I was hiding in the basement. "Because You're with me. I WILL NOT FEAR."

Every fear I have ever had paled in comparison to the fear I was feeling in those moments. I have NEVER in my entire life experienced that level of fear. I can legitimately say that I have never been so afraid in my entire life.

I held onto my God. His promise. He promised me "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and very courageous. Do not be afraid, do not be discouraged. For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9) Why was I so afraid? I'm not afraid to die. I get to be in Jesus' arms. I can't describe to you the fear I felt, but I also can't describe to you the peace and confidence I had in my God as I began to speak out His Words.

Psalm 27:1 "The Lord is my light and my salvation— so why should I be afraid? The Lord is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?"

Psalm 27:3 "Though a mighty army surrounds me, my heart will not be afraid. Even if I am attacked, I will remain confident."

Psalm 91:1-2 "Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”

Psalm 91:4 "He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart"

Psalm 91:9-12 "If you say, “The LORD is my refuge,” and you make the Most High your dwelling, no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone"

My flesh and mind were screaming fear into my heart. My Spirit remained confident in the promises of my God.

My Daddy promised to protect me. My Daddy said He would keep me safe in His arms.

Because You are with me, I will not fear.

I learned a totally new meaning of clinging to God for peace and comfort in the middle of the storm. He was the only thing that kept fear from absolutely paralyzing me.

I conquered my fear the other day. But this was different. This was physically and mentally paralyzing. Even right now as I recount what happened, I find myself being thrown back into that fear and unrest.

I learned that fear isn't okay kept to itself, because it will only breed more fear until you have a whole litter of little fear puppies barking in your head and keeping all the other voices at a distance.

I shared my fear with my two best friends, and my mom and was able to receive encouragement and peace from them. If I hadn't told anybody, I would have drowned in my fear. It would have been ugly. But I neutered my fear and cut it off and told it that it had no place.

God has not given me a spirit of fear, but of power, love and of a sound mind.

Perfect love casts out all fear.

There is no fear in a fearless God.

No weapon formed against me shall prosper.

I am strong in the Lord and in His mighty power.

Fear is false. And when it is faced with Truth, it must flee. Fear has no place and no hold unless you give it a foothold to take ground in your life. Don't let fear breed in your life. Cut it off. Neuter it so it can't make little fear puppies that will bark in your ear and silence out all other voices that need to have more weight and importance. Fear wants to paralyze you. Don't let it.

Because You are with me, I will not fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment