Thursday, June 14, 2012

enthusiasm: being possessed by God.

Have you ever thought, there's got to be more to life than just this?

Me too. Many times. I'm in this season right now that feels like an in-between, waiting season. But the thing is, I can't approach life as a waiting season just because I'm not where I feel I belong or where my heart is. I've spent the past month wishing I were in Alabama, instead of here in Colorado. I wake up thinking about Alabama, and go to sleep thinking about Alabama. I've complained about how much I miss it, how much I dislike Colorado, how boring and melancholy my life is here...and then conviction hit me like a brick.

My sister called me over to the computer to show me something.

Dictionary. The word: Enthusiasm. 

The meaning: "absorbing or controlling possession of the mind by any interest or pursuit; lively interest."

Here's what sticks out about this word. 

The original meaning:    

1570–80;  < Late Latin enthūsiasmus  < Greek enthousiasmós,  equivalent to enthousí: "possession by a god, having a god within,  god-possessing."

Does that get you like it got me? 

To be enthusiastic about something is the equivalent of being possessed, consumed by God.  

If we have the Holy Spirit within us, we are possessed by God and His Spirit within us. 

If we are possessed by God's Spirit, our lives should be lived enthusiastically. In every moment. In every season. High and low. Good and bad. 

If we're not approaching life with excitement, joy and enthusiasm...what are we doing? 

We need to seize every moment we're given. Taking it to the fullest opportunity fulfillment level possible. 

I've recently found the freedom of being myself around other people. I've lived my entire life hiding beneath a mask and pretending to be something and someone I'm not. I'm not this quiet, shy, timid girl that most people would describe me as. I'm loud, fun, crazy, weird, and absolutely nuts. The other night we had a bunch of people over and I was hanging around my sister and her boyfriend, and for the first time in my life, I was completely comfortable being myself. Making animal noises. Stupid jokes. Sharing my insights. Telling my stories. Poking playful verbal banter and sarcasm that I have always kept in my mind. Completely myself. And it was enough to be me. Just Kasey. No masks. No hiding. 

I've decided that life is too short to hide behind a mask. 

I have the God of the Universe living inside of me. Passion and zeal for Him consumes my heart. I am possessed by His Spirit. Each day needs to be a new adventure, full of enthusiasm for His Name and for this life He has given me. 

When I gave my life to Jesus and told Him that I would follow Him wherever He wanted to take me, I meant it. No matter how hard, uncomfortable or homesick I get...I will follow Jesus wherever He takes me. And He has brought me back to Colorado for this season. I want to make the most of it. I know He has things planned out for me here, and people that need to be exposed to the Jesus inside of me and everything that He has done in my heart and life this past year. I'm going to look at the next two months with enthusiasm and anticipation for what God has for me here. And then I get to go home. Until then, I will live content and at peace with where He has me. 

I might feel alone here. But God is with me each day. His hand in mine. And He reminds me everyday when He paints the most glorious sunsets. He is the perfect Romancer.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment