Friday, June 21, 2013

rhythms of the Father's heart

{For the Lord your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.} [Zephaniah 3:17]

have you ever wondered what the songs that Heaven sings over you sound like?

there is a distinct rhythm to every song that has ever been written.

rhythm is defined as "movement or procedure with uniform or patterned recurrence of a beat, accent, or the like."

i don't know about you, but if life is a song, there is nothing uniform or patterned about my life.

its high notes and low notes. continuous strands of the same note as i learn lessons over and over again. its random, choppy notes thrown in here and there. sometimes its one of those black notes that we non-musical people have no idea why those are even on a keyboard. it sounds more like the musical creation of a two year old sitting down and banging on the keys. uniform is far from the descriptive word i would use to describe this song that is my life.

from the outside perspective, there is no rhythm.

sometimes it even feels like multiple songs are being blared through the speakers at the same time.

songs of adventure.

songs of loss.

songs of hope.

songs of sadness.

songs of joy.

songs of confusion.

songs of love.

songs of deep heartbreak.

not all of these songs are songs of heaven though.

the songs of heaven are good, lovely and full of hope.

{every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights, who does not change like the shifting shadows} [James 1:17]

according to this verse, there is a consistent rhythm to the song that the Father is singing over your life, even when it doesn't look like it from our limited perspective.

our lives might be a string of random notes, but there is one source of consistency we can always rely on.

as i look back on my own life and the crazy, wild adventure, battle ground, faith journey that it has been- i see the rhythms of my Father through it all.

He is my constant.

He is my source of consistency.

He never changes.

as faithful as the tide to the shore.

as steady as the rising and setting sun.

He is there.

every moment, He has been there.

i see the waves of who He is that wash up on the shore of my life.

His faithfulness.

His joy.

His love. 

His strength.

His provision.

His hope.

His freedom.

His power.

His grace. 

His presence is always there.

so even when my life sounds like the musical reminiscing of a two year old, there is a sound coming from Heaven that invades earth and brings a constant reminder of the rhythms of the Father and all that He is.

He will rejoice over you with singing.

if you look at who God has been to you and all His faithfulness, you can so clearly hear the song of heaven that He is singing over you. more beautiful than any sound you've ever heard before, for it shouts of His great love and compassion for His children.

still the noise and take a moment to listen to the sounds of heaven.

{i'm caught in the rhythms of grace. they overcome all of my ways. realigning each step everyday to live for Your glory.}

*this post was part of a community of writers that take 5 minutes every Friday to write, just for the love of writing. you can join in at www.lisajobaker.com*

5 comments:

  1. Caught in the same rhythm. Singing the infinite song with you!
    What a joy being your FMF neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With a shattered song, I find myself wondering if it can ever sing beauty. But you have reminded me to listen for His song sung over me. It has power to pull beauty out of my discord. Your words offered the perspective I needed today. Thank you deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your take on rhythm! The song of my life is certainly a mystery sometimes. I do wonder what the heaven songs sound like! James 1:17 is one of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this ----> "our lives might be a string of random notes, but there is one source of consistency we can always rely on."

    I can totally relate - to the random notes and to the consistency in Christ.

    So blessed by your post! Thanks so much for sharing your heart. Encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My rhythm is always changing. I am so thankful that God remains constant in my life. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete